How do I do a clean install of OSX Catalina on a new SSD?
The best way to do this is to boot up into Internet Recovery Mode on your MacBook Pro after you have installed the new SSD by holding either SHIFT-OPTION-COMMAND-R (if that works), otherwise OPTION-COMMAND-R. Then, go into Disk Utility and erase your drive as either an APFS or HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) partition.
How do I boot my Mac after installing a new hard drive?
Power off your Mac from the menu or by holding the power button. Briefly press the power button, then immediately hold the option key while your Mac boots up. Release the key when a startup disk selection screen appears. Choose to boot up from your USB installer.
How do I install a new operating system on my Mac?
Here are the steps Apple describes:
- Start up your Mac pressing Shift-Option/Alt-Command-R.
- Once you see the macOS Utilities screen choose the Reinstall macOS option.
- Click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Select your startup disk and click Install.
- Your Mac will restart once the installation is complete.
How do I transfer my Mac OS to a new hard drive?
The Cloning Process
- Select your new volume (indented) and click on the “Restore” tab.
- Drag your old volume to the Source field.
- Drag your new hard drive to the Destination field.
- Click the check box for “Erasing Destination”.
- Click restore at the bottom and it then will start copying over to your new hard drive.
How do I install macOS Sierra on a new hard drive?
So, let us begin.
- Step 1: Clean up your Mac. …
- Step 2: Back up your data. …
- Step 3: Clean Install macOS Sierra on your startup disk. …
- Step 1: Erase your non-startup drive. …
- Step 2: Download the macOS Sierra Installer from the Mac App Store. …
- Step 3: Start the Installation of macOS Sierra on the Non-startup drive.
Can you format an SSD for Mac on Windows?
Windows cannot read or write to HFS+APFS and you will be asked to format the HFS+ drive once you connect it to Windows computer. … So when you want to share a Samsung SSD drive between Windows and Mac, you need to format it a proper file system: FAT32 or exFAT, both of which work with macOS and Windows OS.
Can I install macOS on external SSD?
You can actually install macOS Sierra on an external drive, flash drive, or SD card, then use that device as your macOS system disk wherever you go.
How do I download OSX Catalina installer?
As above, follow these steps to download Catalina (or any other version of macOS) from the Mac App Store:
- Click this link to open the Mac App Store on the Catalina page.
- Click on Get.
- Software Update will open with the words “Finding Update”. …
- Once the installer has downloaded do not click Install.
How do I install operating system on new hard drive?
How to install Windows on a SATA drive
- Insert the Windows disc into the CD-ROM / DVD drive/ USB flash drive.
- Power down the computer.
- Mount and connect the Serial ATA hard drive.
- Power up the computer.
- Choose language and region and then to Install Operating System.
- Follow the on-screen prompts.
How do I restore my IMAC after replacing a hard drive?
Restore a disk using Disk Utility on Mac
- In the Disk Utility app on your Mac, choose View > Show All Devices. …
- In the sidebar, select the volume you want to restore, then click the Restore button . …
- Click the Restore pop-up menu, then choose the volume you want to copy.
- Click Restore, then click Done.
What do I do if I can’t reinstall OSX?
Can’t Reinstall OS X On Your Mac? Try Resetting The PRAM
- First, completely shut down your Mac via the Apple Toolbar.
- Then, hold down Command, Option, P, and R buttons on your keyboard as you restart your Mac. …
- After the second chime, let go of the buttons and let your Mac restart as normal.